Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Ecumenical Conferencing

I have not done much Ecumenical work in the past. Mostly, I think this is because it is something I have taken for granted and not thought of as something that was in great need of being a "movement."

When I was invited to attend the General Assembly of the National Council of Churches and Church Word Service, I jumped. I have been here for two days now, and after spending that time with the (first ever) young adult conference "New Fire," I cannot believe how much I have learned. I have heard incredible testimonies and been moved by intentional holy conferencing. I have struggled to be patient and love brothers and sisters who seem to sometimes argue for the sake of arguing. I have learned about denominations I did not even know existed, and my eyes have been opened to the importance of seeking communion as one united body of Christ.

Our group of 12 young adult stewards spent today getting to know each other better, coming to understand our roles over the next few days better, and wrapping up logistics for the next few days. The conference begins in the morning, and I look forward to watching and being a part of this conference as it unfolds. It will be very different than the past few days, and if its anything like the past few, I know it will be demanding and difficult, engaging and empowering, challenging, and encouraging. I can't wait.

No comments: