Thursday, April 9, 2009

Continuing the Journey of Holy Week

Holy Thursday. A journey to the garden, a night we are called to be watchful and prayerful in preparation of what is yet to come. Tonight's service was a journey and included a journey outside to "pray in the garden" while we sang together: "Guide my feet, while I run race, for I don't want to run this race in vain."

I pray that tonight, and for the continued path on which I will travel beyond this week. I pray that as I remember vividly from my journey to Jerusalem not long ago the path on which Jesus walked and the garden in which he prayed on that night. They were so different then than now, but they are imprinted images all the same, and they shift my reality of how I am able to see and understand this story.

Holy Week is my favorite time (albeit the most difficult) of the entire church year: a week in which we are called more than any other to be attentive, worshipful, prayerful, and reflective both in our own 'gardens,' and together, in community, as we gather for several days to pray and meditate.

Our final song in worship tonight was a Taize song that keeps running through my head, a prayer I carry with me and invite you to boldly pray as well in the midst of this night of preparation...

Stay With Me.
Remain Here with Me.
Watch, and Pray.
Watch and Pray.

No comments: