Thursday, January 21, 2010

So Much More

During Missionary Training back in October, a friend introduced me to Brett Dennen. I have probably listened to the album "So Much More" 10 times, but today, the title track caught me off guard as I seem to have heard the words for the first time. Perhaps this is due to the recent tragedies, but it speaks words from the depths of my own soul all the same. I can't do these words any more justice than they do themselves, so I will save my thoughts and share the words with you for your own reflections...

“There is so much more"
      -Brett Dennen

When I heard the news, my heart fell on the floor
I was on a plane on my way to Baltimore
In these troubled times, its hard enough as it is
My soul has known a better life than this

I wondered how so many could be in so much pain
While others don’t seem to feel a thing?
and Then I cursed my whiteness and I get so damn depressed,
In a world of suffering, why should I be so blessed?

I heard about a woman who lives in Colorado
She built a monument of Saul behind her garaged door
Where everyday she prays for all whom are born
and all whose souls are passed on

Sometimes my trouble gets so thick,
I cant see how I’m gonna get through it
but then I would rather be stuck up in a tree
Than be tied to it

I know
There is so much more

I don’t feel comfortable with the way that my clothes fit
I cant get used to my body’s limits
I got some fancy shoes to try and kick away these blues
They cost a lot of money but they aren’t worth a thing

I want to free my feet from the broken glass and concrete
I need to get out of this city
Lay upon the ground, stare a hole in your sky
Wondering where I go when I die… when I die

1 comment:

holli vining said...

that is so beautiful.

I love this line, among many others:

"Lay upon the ground, stare a hole in your sky"