Monday, February 8, 2010

Praying Together

Anyone who knows me, probably knows I am not what may be easily defined as a “morning person.” This has required some an adjustment on my behalf, as most mornings there is someone at our house before 8am. As our co-workers in the cottages next door still do not have a fridge in their homes, they are here for breakfast before leaving for the office - which we are to be ready for by 8 (though it is usually 9:30 before they fetch us, as most things here run on “African Time”).

Due to transportation issues and all the people that have someplace to be in the morning, if I wish to be at the center before 9:30am, I must leave home with the car at 6am. Today, I took my first turn (of many yet to come) going to the center first thing in the morning. I was, as you can imagine, not excited about arriving so early that the doors to the center were still locked and I had to wait for students to roll out of bed before going inside. I was drowsy at best, but gave being a morning person my best shot. It wasn’t too bad, as it had been several days since I’d seen most of the students, and I was looking forward to seeing them.

This being said, I had only one conclusion at the end of the day: It is great to spend time at the Center and with the students. They really, truly are an incredible group of students. Before breakfast it was peaceful and quiet at the center, providing and incredible opportunity to catch up with students who had newly arrived and who I had not seen since we were in the Congo in November. Catching up turned into great conversations over breakfast, and I could not have felt more alive as I began the day leading worship and devotions with the group of about 30 students from all over the world.

I am really looking forward to learning, studying and praying with this incredible group of diverse people from all over Africa over the next 6 months.

No comments: