Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Beginning of the End

It has begun.

Friday, I met a friend who lives on the other side of town for coffee… to bid one another farewell.

Today was my last Sunday at Plumstead Methodist Church.

Time is running away, slipping through my fingers quickly, slipping away before I realize it has passed.

I have begun saying farewell. I have had many “lasts.” And at the end of next week, I will depart South Africa.

It is strange that this time has come, and it still doesn’t feel entirely real. In part, I am grateful: that makes it easier. On the other hand, I wonder if this denial of sorts will not only make adjusting to life back in the US more difficult.

I am going to miss this place. These people. This climate. The smells, the sites, the sounds. There is no place like Cape Town, my favorite city in the world.

And yet… while I am sad to be going and refusing to think of the people I will miss the most… I am also really excited. Excited because of what is yet to come. Excited because I know God has called me to what is next. Excited because this ending, as with all endings, also brings with it a new beginning. And the new beginning that awaits me in the US is certainly one that God has called me to.

And so, while I am sad and torn and a bit numb when I think of leaving, I am left also joy-filled, for if I were to leave this place for any other or for any reason, it could only be because God has called me to do so. I am grateful to find myself in that space.

So where is this next place that I’m heading to? Watch this space and I’ll make that announcement here in the next couple of days… :)

No comments: