Monday, March 23, 2009

Summer 2009 Brings Another Epic Adventure

It is past time that I make an announcement here for anyone who may read this, but may still not know.

I AM GOING ON THE RIDE:WELL 2009 BIKE TOUR - as a CYCLIST!!! I was a part of the 2008 tour and it changed my life. I unexpectedly fell in love with bikes, travel adventure, and tying these together with other things I am passionate about, such as providing clean water for people around the world.

The ride is going to be intense, challenging, and rewarding, bringing forth so many emotions, experiences, and relationships. It will last 8 weeks, during which we will cover 3172 miles (traveling from the SW coast in Santa Monica, CA to the NE coast just beyond Baltimore, MA). That is a lot of miles to be covered in not a lot of time, but we're doing it for a cause, and it will absolutely be worth it. I can't wait. and I'm scared out of my mind at the same time.

I have only just begun training for the trip, but most of the time I feel confident about it. I am also trying not to be concerned about the financial aspect. Trips such as these are expensive, and in order to keep as much of the money we raise on the road funneling directly into grassroots-based projects in Africa, each person on the team is required to raise a substantial amount of money. This year, this seems even more trying, as I am very new to cycling and am in need of a great deal of gear as well. I am confident it will work out, though, and have begun writing letters for support, as well as planning events (such as benefit concerts) to help raise the money.

I hope to update this regularly as things continue to come together. Words of support, encouragement, or advice are always welcome! For more information, please contact me directly or check out our website: www.ridewelltour.com - or you can go directly to my profile at http://ridewelltour.ning.com/profile/JenTyler. (If you are interested in supporting me financially, you can do so via the website as well.)