Saturday, December 1, 2007

Long-awaited return to Blood:Water

As you may know, I have been volunteering for a wonderful organization, Blood:Water Mission, for several years. I initially discovered the organization because it was founded by a band I love and respect, both musically and otherwise. Upon further investigation, it took little time for me to discover that this is quite possibly one of the best organizations for me to work with/for. They are working at a grassroots level to coordinate the most basic essential of life for people of sub-Saharan Africa: clean water (see video below). Long story short, I fell in love with B:WM and in no time became a regular volunteer for them. This includes volunteering at events such as concerts, speaking engagements (such as high schools, etc) and taking part in a "sacrifice" of drinking only water during the Lent season to raise awareness and funds to build water wells. Indeed, it has been a time of growth and encouragement for me.

As chaotic as life has been, I have not been able to do much with B:WM this semester. And I miss it. In a successful attempt to reconnect with them, I discovered there is a need for more volunteers at all 3 of the Jars of Clay/Third Day concerts in the area this week. I have class one of those nights. One of those shows is 3 hours away... I've driven further to volunteer (its WORTH it!), but its pretty short notice AND finals season. So... next Sunday night. Anyone interested? (I can pass on details to anyone sincerely interested!)

This is a cause I have spent years fighting with/for. I LOVE it. It fulfills me. It helps me to see light and hope in God's great Kingdom. I can think of no better way to start off the Christian new year than to spend it working for a global cause that I believe in so strongly.

Here's to hope. Here's to a beautiful, life-giving 2008 as we kick off the Advent season. And HERE is to finding more time for the important events and causes in our lives. Being passionate about something gives us new life. Just ask my close friends, who have seen new life in me in the past 2 days as I realize possibilities of getting involved again. This may be a busy time of year, but God is good. and God will provide the time, energy, and way for God's people who serve in God's name.

There is no better way I would want to begin my new year. Happy Advent.