Sunday, June 1, 2008

A New Understanding

Yesterday I started reading Donald Miller’s Blue Like Jazz. It has given me a lot to think about, and I love the opportunity to ponder things like this… to think about faith and life and love and God in non-academic ways. I love that this book is allowing me to contemplate these things in ways I used to before I was a seminarian.

I got from a nap this afternoon and these words kept rolling through my mind. Like a story that has been written for me, waiting for me to record it. It was a bizarre occurrence, especially considering how obvious I think the statement is. Yet I also realize it is a truth we do not reflect upon often enough.

I do not understand God. Nor do I think God intends for me to. The more I seek to understand God and how we relate to one another, the more I realize God cannot fit into any of the boxes we have thought up – no matter how big or small that box may be. God can’t fit into the box – even the box of how we define omnipotent or omnipresent. God can’t fit, because when we define, we make a box. And God fits in no boxes. God is the box.

No comments: