Saturday, February 23, 2008

Blood:Water Banquet

A good day.

I would love to write more, but as you can see, its late. The Blood:Water banquet was tonight, and it was a nice event with a great mix of music and story-telling and meeting lots of folks. Hannah seems fantastic, I wish I could have spoken with and gotten to know her a bit better! I suppose that's actually true for a lot of people... I saw and met and talked to a ton of folks, but little more than small talk. It was nice to be properly introduced to some familiar folks at an event like this one... that is, outside of the usual occasion of a concert or something at which I am attending to be the volunteer.

Lots of notable folks were in the crowd tonight... Jars of Clay played, of course (Light Gives Heat and a new song, from the documentary they did the soundtrack for). We had lovely "digestion music" over dinner to start off our night. (insert joke with Jeremy Lutito of Disappointed by Candy that you won't understand here, lol). Donald Miller was our MC, they interviewed 3 great volunteers, including David Van Buskirk, who I met on the road working for B:W last year. He's gearing up for a summer fundraising project for Blood:Water- a bike tour across the country! We talked a bit about their potential need for another person to drive a support vehicle... maybe I could do that for 2 months? How AWESOME would that be? We'll see what happens with GBGM...

Other things to note from the night: There was an extensive, powerful interview/storytelling of Fred and Milton Ochieng- the two young men from Lwala, Kenya about whom the "Hope for Lwala" documentary has been made. Its big premier is coming up in March, so after that I'll be sure to let everyone know where to find it... you NEED to hear this story and the great work they're doing!
As promised, Hanson was also there. They talked about their time in Africa and the importance of Tom's Shoes. They also played 2 songs for us... but (much to Lynn's disappointment, haha) they didn't play "mmmbop." I do have to admit- I was impressed.

I think thats it for tonight. Its really late- and I need to be rested tomorrow so I can finish up my sermon! I'm a bit sad to go... I hear wonderful things- including a baptism! - are happening at Lynn's church Sunday, and I would love to check it out! But alas, I love my church too... and I kinda have to preach... so its probably good I'll be there ;).

No comments: