Monday, February 18, 2008

RENT

I went to see RENT! last night with a friend from church. For many years, this has been my favorite musical, so when I found out it was coming to Chicago, I couldn't wait!

Unfortunately, it was a HUGE disappointment. While I will admit I had incredibly high expectations (its my favorite and I've waited years to see it!), the buzz of others around me after the show confirms that my disappointment was not just my own. The talent was less than amazing. We had a couple good singers... but only a couple. And the acting wasn't fantastic, either. I think if I had paid a normal price to see it- such as in a community theater or something - I would have been satisfied. But when I paid Broadway in Chicago prices (which I can't actually afford to do), it was completely different. My favorite songs were even butchered when they're beautiful because of great harmonies... and the vocalists were all flat. All night.

HUGE disappointment. If the same tour comes to your city, save your money.

No comments: