Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Winter.

I love winter. Really, I do.

I love the cold, crisp air that hits you as you walk outside. Freezing winter weather is the only time of year you can get that kind of fresh air even in the midst of a city with millions of people and too much pollution. Its beautiful and refreshing.

I love the beautiful white wintery snow that surrounds us... I love walking in it as it falls even more. Its a beautiful mystery of nature, a blessing God has given us to appreciate, marvel in, play in, take time to reflect and be peaceful in. It is glorious.

I could go on, but I think you get the point (since those are the two things people usually hate most about winter!). This year has actually felt like winter with lots of cold temperatures and snow, which is quite different from last year, in which this weather only lasted a couple of weeks.

As much as I love winter, I also sympathize with those who hate it... it definitely does seem to go on forever at times. That, and it does prohibit life from moving on- whether because the roads are too bad to be driving on or because it is too cold for anyone to safely be outside. This was the case this morning when a car wouldn't start so we did not go to the gym... it is only 3/4 of a mile, but that is a LONG walk when it is several degrees below zero (Fahrenheit) (this morning, I think it was -12 with the wind). Putting life at a standstill for more than a day or two at a time can be frustrating, to say the least.

That is why I am glad to be escaping to a different kind of winter. I'll be heading to Nashville tomorrow for a couple of days (I'll be back Saturday!) to attend an event for Blood:Water. I'm REALLY looking forward to it... and while there, I am also looking forward to the "break" in weather- where it will still be cold and rainy (maybe even some snow), but for the most part should be above freezing. Even if above freezing is only by one or two degrees... its a nearly 40 degree difference from here! I can't wait. :)

Now... back to reading... and writing my sermon for Sunday. I was hoping to finish these things before I leave in the morning, but for some reason God seems to think I should write a more intense message this week, and I'm not quite sure what to do with it. So it might take me a bit longer to figure out than originally anticipated. But hopefully it will be good for all- for me in the learning/writing process, and for the congregation that will hear the message this week.

I hope you are staying warm in this frigid weather! For those of you in warmer climates, in the midst of your summers, enjoy some extra sun rays for us! We could use them!

No comments: