Monday, May 5, 2008

A few GC pictures

I didn't take many pictures during General Conference, but I thought I would post a couple of those I do have, as they are certainly from some of the most memorable moments of the conference.
First things first. Isn't his a GREAT liturgical robe? I was talked into buying it at Cokesbury the first night we were in Fort Worth. After looking at robes for Steph (who seriously wants one), Kim's co-worker decided he had JUST the robe for me and walked us to this one. We had a good chuckle over it- and wondered who would pay $25 for it? I jokingly said I'd give $10 for it and buy it as a joke/gift for someone... or maybe even for my own first robe since I keep saying I don't want one. Then he said, "really? sold!" ... and I figured what the hey- is there any better memorabilia of my first General Conference than a liturgical robe? Probably not!

These are from our first Friday night - at the MoSAIC drum circle. In this first picture, courtesy of Karl, I am talking to our "friends" from the local Baptist Church. They came to tell us why everything we were there to stand up for (an ALL- inclusive church) is blasphemy. More on this witness and my time with our guests can be found here.

On the final evening of the conference, I was introduced to the fountains behind the convention center. I'm so sad it took me so long to discover they were there! I am thankful, however, to have discovered them at all, as they certainly provided the peace and serenity I needed after such a long, exhausting week. I have lots of pictures, but I don't think any of them could give justice to how amazing it was to sit in such a peace-filled place when I (we) needed it so much. Praise God for gifts like this one (even if it was cement blocks with water running down) that remind us of the important gifts of nature, water, and new life. It was good to run my hands (and feet) through the cool waters and remember my baptism and the very reasons for which we had been at this conference at all. Re-centering was definitely in order, and I think it allowed me to go home with a new sense of peace I'm not sure I'd have otherwise found so quickly.

No comments: