Sunday, May 18, 2008

A Good Day From the Start

You know those days that you wake up, roll over, and somehow just know, "today is going to be a good day!"? Today was one of those days for me.

I woke up early and significantly easier than most days - especially Sundays when I have to get up long before my body thinks its a good idea! It proved to even be a productive day, though, when Kim was running late and I managed to use that extra 30 minutes to be productive. Followed by a great day at church - it was a lovely opportunity to welcome Donelle as our new Children's minister... and Trey's sermon on prayer was great. Honestly, I wasn't sure I could expect to anything new on a topic that has been almost over-preached at seminary, so it was a refreshing and a pleasant surprise to be proved wrong.

We managed to keep goodbyes from being too sad because I know that even though I won't be in the church next year, I will still be around Chicago and thus not too much of a stranger. It was sad to realize I would have to find a new Sunday brunch group, though... we had 13 people for lunch today! A couple of which were new faces... I'm sad to have not had the opportunity to get to know some of them better before leaving. Alas, I hope to pick up in the fall upon my return and share more stories.

Tonight was also my final women's group meeting! This is indeed very sad. I have not been able to attend regularly this year, but the times I have made it have been significant and wonderful. Perhaps THE best way to get to know some of the wonderful ladies of Holy Covenant! It is great to share stories, both real and fairy tale (ha!), struggles and life experiences - everything from our greatest hopes to our wildest dreams (quite literally). This is a supportive, open, welcoming, awesome group of women who help to make this community what it is, and for them, I am thankful.

I was also thankful for the reminder tonight that although I am leaving before they meet again and will not be an intern/attending Holy Covenant upon my return in the fall, they fully expect a report of my summer journey upon my return. In Linda's humble opinion, I appreciated that this means I MUST (! no question! ha) return to the group at least once in August to report back. This was a very welcome invitation, as it will be great to have such a familiar, lovely group to return to after spending 2+ months traveling and in limbo between communities! It will also provide opportunity to keep in touch with them and get updates on the changes and transitions we all seem to be undergoing.

Today was a good day full of many of the "simple" blessings of life I believe we (I) too often overlook. For taking the time to appreciate them today for all that they are, I am thankful. Praise be to God!

No comments: