Wednesday, January 30, 2008

A Piece of Cake

Its cold outside. Today, I am reminded of one of my favorite things to do when I was little and it was too cold to go outside. Usually, these days came with lots of snow, so my siblings would often go out and play in it- most frequently by sledding. Though this is an activity I enjoy now, it was far from my first choice when I was young.

I used to stay inside in our warm apartment and spend the afternoon baking with Mom. I may have said this before- Mom isn't much of a cook. But she can sure bake! So we would stay inside and make too many batches of all of our favorite kinds of cookies, only to freeze them so we'd have them for the weeks to come.

Today, it is cold and I don't want to be out in the wind and snow. So I'm staying inside to bake. Straying from our tradition of cookies I'm experimenting to make the BEST chocolate cake recipe into cupcakes. I've wanted to bake for some time now, but with no one around to eat the product for me, I've held off. But tonight, these chocolaty treats will be perfect for Bible Study at church- when I finally do venture out again today.

It is a good day to stay inside. While I have much work to do, I am thankful for the opportunity to take part in and reflect upon an old tradition. Perhaps I'll even end it with a cup of hot cocoa, just like we always had when everyone came together, snow-covered and freezing from a long day of sledding and snowman building.

No comments: