Saturday, March 8, 2008

The Greatest Moments of Life are Those We Don't Plan Out

I'm not really sure where this week went? I had much I wanted to accomplish, and little I actually got done, yet I was busy all week. I hate it when that happens!

After the chaos that kept me so busy this week, it was great to finally have a night out. Many of my classmates went off to a retreat at Wesley Woods in Wisconsin, and I stayed behind with hope that I could take that same space of time as a day off where I could be at home (or not), doing anything but work. In many ways, I was seeking a retreat away from the same familiar (wonderful though they may be) faces I see day in and day out. I just needed a break - time away.

Part of that break became an opportunity to be a part of a new community. Jon and I are in a class at Garrett with two students from the Lutheran seminary down south, and they were throwing a party to raise money for St. Jude's Children's Hospital. After recruiting Susie to come with us, the three of us - who NEVER hang out - went down to the party site in Hyde Park.

It was a good, ecumenical time. Lutherans, Catholics, UCC, Presbyterian, non-denominational... seminarians and non-seminarians alike... Aside from the 3 of us who went together, Jon and I kind of know 2 of the 4 hosts... and we knew no one else there. It was AWESOME!

The 4 of us represented the Methodists well. We met tons of people, created lots of memories, and perhaps even found a new Monday-night activity, as we've been invited to join a group that gathers mid-way between here and there to hang out away from campus and have a break from talking theology. Exactly what we all need!

This week flew by. I haven't gotten nearly as much done as I hoped I would... but that's okay. I am refreshed and ready to begin anew. I am grateful for the opportunity to have taken this much-needed retreat. Something we should all do more. I certainly imagine it will greatly increase my capacity to do productive work in the near future... I just hope that is sooner rather than later, or this is going to be a long, stressful week!

No comments: