Monday, March 31, 2008

Earth Hour 2008

On Saturday night, all around the world people came together to take part in "Earth Hour." Together, folks shut off lights and ceased to use electricity as a step to raise awareness about climate change. For one hour- from 8pm to 9pm local time, people were encouraged to turn off all their lights, televisions, etc in a collaborative effort to make a statement.

In the US, my wonderful city of Chicago was selected as the "flagship city" for Earth hour.

I have taken some great photos off of flickr of the nightline... this one is of just before the lights went off...It was a bit awkward at first- what does one do when I should be wrapping up sermon prep, running through it a couple more times, etc... but can't see!?! I turned off ALL of the electricity in my house, even to the point of it being annoying when I had to reset ALL of my clocks! For the record... I even turned my phone off!
During the Earth Hour, here is another pic of what it looked like:Significantly better! Though clearly everyone did not participate (and if you were in the city, I have to admit the orange glow never went away), I thought the turnout was pretty good. It was a nice night, too- so when the lights went down, Allison and I just went for an hour-long walk, which was quite nice.

Well done to the coordinators of Earth Hour. I hope folks learned something from this and are more conscious of how/when they're using electricity!

On Saturday night, all around the world people came together to take part in "Earth Hour." Together, a

No comments: