Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Driving in Chicago

I've forgotten what its like to drive, and how much I really do love the train.

This afternoon, I was *crunched* for time because of when our class session for General Conference was meeting... it was to get over at the same time as I needed to be at church. SO, in hopes of cutting time, my *wonderful* friend Carol offered to let me take her car. I wasn't sure it would help much more than 5-10 minutes, but with that being important time, AND knowing it would save 30-40 minutes on the way home because there would be no express trains, I accepted.

First of all, as I was driving down Sheridan road and about to get on Lakeshore Drive, I realized this was the first time I had ever driven in the city of Chicago! I've driven in Evanston and to the airport, but never into the city. Of course I know my way as if I had done it myself a thousand times, as I am used to being a passenger and have come to know the parts of the city I am required to go through quite well. Regardless, I certainly never anticipated the first time I drove in the city would be during rush hour! But it wasn't too bad... I've definitely seen (though not driven in) worse, and it was nice to have that time to myself in the car on the way there.

The way back was MUCH faster, so for that I was thankful. However, I also realized that as much as I sometimes hate the waiting and the hassle of the train, it sure is nice. Especially on Tuesdays. The train there gives me an opportunity to review my Bible Study for the evening, and the way home gives me time to reflect and be restful after a long, busy day. I can't get that kind of rest and peace in the car... at least not when I'm driving and have to pay attention to the road.

If I had a car, I would still plan to drive every Sunday, and perhaps even on Monday mornings. But Tuesdays? No, I think though its nice to get home so much quicker, the time I have to myself on the train to think, be restful, make phone calls or often even journal, is worth it. I missed that tonight, and part of me wished I hadn't had a car at all. But don't get me wrong- it was also *really* nice, and I appreciate others' willingness to help me out on days- weeks!- like this one.

No comments: