Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Preparing for a Journey

The following is my first entry in my "blog" on the Ride:Well Network page. I am looking forward to the opportunity to get to know folks more, and have enjoyed a bit of time roaming around their sites and hearing about their journeys thus far...

I love the opportunity to occasionally go through everyone else's blogs. Its great to see the dedication and struggle and work everyone is putting into this trip so far in advance. Its going to pay off, friends- keep up the good work! The endless comments and questions about which bike/pedals are best and the day Mike accidentally went to far on his bike against the wind both ways (which, btw, reminded me of "I used to have to walk to school in the snow barefoot, uphill both ways!" haha)... all great stories and great testimonies to the kinds of experiences we'll share this summer.

I, for one, am not biking, so my experience of sharing in your stories is a different one. I have a few reasons for not biking... partly because I thought I would have other plans for the summer and when that changed, I didn't feel like I would have time to train, etc. Regardless, I am excited to be a part of the support team and getting to know everyone better. I've been thinking a lot about the trip, and this week I've begun to realize some of the different kinds of challenges I will face as a part of the team who is not biking. For example: after being in a car all day, I too am going to want to get some exercise! But I imagine that will be at the bottom of the priority list when we break each night. Anyone with great ideas of how to keep moving in a car is welcome to request them. I'll have seven weeks to test them out!

I was also thinking about how hard everyone is training while I was at the gym this morning, and in an almost- solidarity with the sweat and tears you'll shed, I decided to switch from my typical cardio (elliptical or jogging), I got on a bike for the first time in over a year. It was a bit rough, but I cranked up the resistance and pushed hard for about 7 miles. and I have to tell you - it felt great.

I'll be far from in shape to ride across the country in just over a month's time, but I'm looking forward being a part of this journey all the same. For those of you who are riding- keep up the good work! We'll be on the road together in no time...

No comments: